Saturday, January 21, 2012
R.I.P. Coach
Joe Paterno wasn't interested in succeeding and he wasn't interested in doing things the right way. Joe Paterno was interested in succeeding while doing things the right way. The legendary coach had a saying that I like quite a bit, if you're not improving you're moving backwards. Leave it to the greatest coach of all time to teach us more about life than he did about football. In football, if you improve your backfield, improve your receivers, improve your offensive line, improve your defensive line, improve your linebackers, improve your secondary and improve your special teams, there's no way your team isn't going to be better. Just like in life if you improve your relationship with God, improve your relationship with others, improve your work ethic, improve your mental health and improve your physical health, there is no way your life isn't going to be better. Working hard on improving multiple facets of one's life is the key to life in my opinion. For example, if you're so focused on your career that your relationship with your family suffers then you're not succeeding. No one ever said success was easy and no one ever said doing things the right way was easy. So certainly having success while doing things the right way cannot be easy. That's the thing about Coach Paterno, he knew it wasn't easy and yet he still expected those things from his players and all Penn Staters; that's why we're called Mighty Nittany Lions. If you do things the right way and work hard towards improvement you will find success. JoePa lived to be 85 years old, we should all be so blessed. On top of that, he left us with lessons that we can use to help improve our lives and the lives of those around us. Joseph Vincent Paterno may not have won the battle against cancer but if you look at all the lives he's touched you already know that he won the war.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh Dave...
ReplyDeleteWasn't it just 2-3 years ago we'd discuss Coach's incompetency in his later years along with Josh Hull's ability/inability to be a Penn State linebacker? Now the whole Penn State football world's been flipped on its head, and we've come together as a family. Even more so tonight than when the scandal broke.
Good article from a guy who I know wasn't Joe's biggest admirer these past few years.
I love Joe Paterno, I always have. I, like many others, wanted to see him retire. I guess my question for you is...what's your point?
Delete