Let's take a look at the current seniors on the roster and my optimism for the future.
Evan Royster - RB - He has 72 yards rushing (3.6 ypc) and zero touchdowns after two games. It will be a shame if he becomes the school's all time leading rusher. I hope he finishes #2 on the list. I am currently of the opinion that he is the third best running back on the squad and I can tell you that I am not alone on that.
Graham Zug - WR - Zug has zero catches after two games as a starter; he started last season as well. Way to go, champ.
Brett Brackett - WR - Coming into this season Brackett had under 200 yards receiving in his career.
Stefen Wisniewski - RG - Wisniewski is a good center and an even better guard. He's by far the best OLineman on a shaky OLine.
Doug Klopacz - C - Klopacz is our starting center, first year starter. He's average.
Lou Eliades - RT - Eliades is our starting right tackle, he was our starting right guard last season. He's average as well, which is disappointing considering the amount of experience he has accumulated over the years.
Collin Wagner - K - Last season Wagner was a reliable kicker who couldn't hit past 40. This season Wagner's become a real asset to the kicking game.
Ollie Ogbu - DT - All I hear is about how underrated Ogbu is. Everyone says Ogbu is underrated. It's to the point where he's actually become overrated. Ogbu's solid, no more, no less. He'll make plays but is by no means a star. He's a multi-year starter at defensive tackle.
Bani Gbadyu - OLB - Sorry folks I can't do it, he's not a SickOLB. Gbadyu is a career backup which for a linebacker at Linebacker U isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world. Bani, known to most fans as "#15", was forced to play the entire game at Alabama because Hodges got hurt on the opening kickoff. Bani got abused in Tuscaloosa.
Chris Colasanti - MLB - Colasanti has started two games in his career now, against Youngstown State where he was my Nittany Lion of the Game, and against Alabama where he was abused. Not abused nearly as much as Gbadyu and the safties, but nonetheless abused. What does this tell me? It tells me he plays very hard but does not possess elite talent.
Shelton McCullough - CB - This walk-on corner's presense allowed Chaz Powell to shift back over to offense when Curtis Drake went down with a broken leg in August. McCullough is second string but he's the #4 corner meaning he's not the nickel back (#3 corner, Derrick Thomas) and he's not the dime back (#3 safety, Andrew Dailey).
We have 11 seniors on the squad with three of them being former walk-ons (Zug, Wagner, McCullough). Out of the 11, ten are current starters on the team. We'll miss Wisniewski, and if Fera's consistent next year, Wisniewski will be the only one we'll miss. The rest of the team returns intact. I wish I could tell you that Astorino and Sukay are seniors...but they're not. We should be outstanding next season, and even better the year after that. I know it's sad but I'm already looking forward to 2011.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment