Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mailbag!

SickOLBs,
What do you think the Big Ten will look like at the end of this year? PSU on top? And how do you see us fairing this season? Another possible close to undefeated season?
Justin from Los Angeles

Justin,

Here is my tiered breakdown of how I think the conference will perform this season:

Tier 1:
Ohio State
Penn State

Tier 2a:
Illinois
Michigan State
Northwestern

Tier 2b:
Iowa
Minnesota

Tier 3a:
Michigan
Wisconsin

Tier 3b:
Indiana
Purdue

I think we have a shot of going undefeated. I think our toughest games are @Illinois, @Northwestern, and the home showdown with Ohio State. We could lose any one of those three games. Plus, @Michigan isn't a given. Also, if we go into our season finale @Michigan State with more than a couple losses under our belt we'll lose that game. If we head into the Michigan State game with something big to play for we'll leave with a win. The national media wants to point to our game against Iowa as a big time match up but I feel as though there is no chance we lose that game.

I have the winner of the Penn State - Ohio State game as the Big Ten champs. If Ohio State beats USC in week two then the Big Ten champ, if undefeated, will go to the national championship game. If not then not.

SickOLBs,
Who do you got on opening night?
Mike from Dallas

Mike,

I assume you're referring to the two games on ESPN Thursday night. In the opener I'll take North Carolina State over South Carolina. This is a match up of two teams headed in different directions. NC State is on the upswing and I think the Wolfpack will bite USC on their way up. Personally, I think USC is in trouble in the opener, this season, and as a program moving forward.

The nightcap which sees Oregon go to Boise is the ultimate toss up. I'm a decisive guy and so I'm going to make the call...Oregon. I like Oregon running back LaGarrette Blount. In fact, despite the return of Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford, and Colt McCoy, I think Blount has a puncher's chance of winning this year's Heisman.

SickOLBs,
Are you like me and have Virginia Tech coming away with a big win over Alabama week one in Atlanta?
Jamaal from Virginia

Jamaal,

Absolutely not. Not only do I think VaTech will lose, I think they're going to get rolled by Alabama. I think Virginia Tech is painfully overrated and I'm glad I won't have to wait long to see them get exposed. This is not the game of the week, Georgia at Oklahoma State is.

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing you know this by now, but Blount certainly showed he is a puncher. And simultaneously showed he won't getting within a million miles of a Heisman. Hey, it's not like any of us knew until tonight, either.

    ReplyDelete