Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mailbag!

Time for another mailbag. As always, if you have questions email me, SickOLBs at der164@psu.edu. Now let's get to it.

SickOLBs,
What's your take on the Michael Crabtree situation and how do you see it playing out?
Shitty from D.C.

Shitty,

That's an interesting name, is it French? So the Crabtree situation for anyone who doesn't know, Michael Crabtree was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in April's draft. Despite being drafted 10th overall, Crabtree wants "top three money" and is threatening to hold out all season and re-enter the draft in 2010 if he doesn't receive it. This is nonsense. Though 2010's draft won't be as loaded at the wide receiver position it will certainly be better overall with loads more elite prospects. If Crabtree couldn't crack the top nine in 2009 there's no chance he will in 2010 and absolutely no chance at all of receiving top three money. Add to that this current situation and he's not even a lock to go until maybe later in the first round. Crabtree's a great talent but he's making a mistake. I don't see him following through on this threat and if he does, it will cost him money not earn him some.

SickOLBs,
Everyone knows about your amazing pragnastimation skills so tell me, how are my Michigan Wolverines going to do this year?
Mary from Ann Arbor, MI

Mary,

It's prognostication, sweetheart. This is a good question as I can see Michigan's season going either way and it all hinges on their week two game when they host Notre Dame. If Michigan beats Notre Dame I can see them winning nine and going to a good bowl game. If Michigan loses I can see them finishing with five or six wins and struggling to make a bowl. This is what I like to call a hinge game as the success of a team's season and sometimes the program going forward literally hinges on one game. Interesting enough, another big hinge game this season also involves Notre Dame and takes place a week earlier on September 5 when Notre Dame hosts Nevada led by their dangerous quarterback Colin Kaepernick. If Notre Dame falls to Nevada (which could happen) then their dream season is over before it began and Charlie Weiss will be looking for a new job.

SickOLBs,
What's wrong with you? Where's the update on Givens?
Joe from Mechanicsburg

Joe,

Darrell Givens is going to Rutgers.

SickOLBs,
Coaches poll is out but I want to know what you think. What does your preseason top ten look like?
Matt from Florence, SC

Matt,

1. Florida
2. Oklahoma
3. USC
4. Texas
5. Alabama
6. Penn State
7. LSU
8. Ohio State
9. Ole Miss
10. Georgia

Too many polls are based on schedule and how people thing that a team will navigate that schedule. I look at how good the teams are. Georgia would be favored in their week one match up with Oklahoma State if that game were Between the Hedges so why rank OK State higher because they get them at home? And after Alabama blows the doors off of Virginia Tech in week one it will be easy to see why Tech doesn't belong in the top ten.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/521574.html?nav=742

    I just thought I'd get your opinion on this as it was the cover story for the local paper today. I personally think we'd be best off in a 4-4 with Josh somewhere in the middle with Lee. Mauti could take outside with Bowman, and I'd personally try if I were Bradley to keep Bowman and Lee on opposing edges at all times. Let's face it, our secondary has a lot more problems than being a little unathletic this year, and they could use all the help they can get, even if it means starting three guys there.

    By the way, did you see the awesome SI college football cover for the region this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see the cover and I too thought it was great. I thought the #14 ranking for us was a joke but hey, it happens.

    As for the idea of a 4-4 I'm not loving it and I'll tell you why. In a 4-4 we'd have just one safety and still two corners. Safety isn't the problem for us, cornerback is. Now, if we were to move Astorino to corner then it might be a good idea.

    Still, I don't think the 4-4 is the solution. Let's face it, we're a better team without Josh Hull in the starting lineup. We're going to see one of three scenarios: Mauti-Lee-Bowman, Lee-Mauti-Bowman, or Lee-Hull-Bowman. I don't care who's inside and who's out, there are advantages moving forward for both but bottom line is we need to see Michael Mauti in there over Josh Hull. It could be argued that the trio of Lee, Bowman, and Mauti could be better than the trio of Posluszny, Connor, and Lee. I love all of those guys but Mauti was head and shoulders better as a true freshman than Sean Lee was.

    ReplyDelete